True Advocates For The Injured
  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Motor Vehicle Accidents
  4.  → Car Accident FAQ

Car Crash Frequently Asked Questions

The aftermath of a car accident is often a time of disorientation and uncertainty. It is also a time to take certain steps that could help you get proper medical care and financial compensation in the weeks and months to come.

At Stiver Law, we represent car accident victims throughout New Mexico. Following are some questions people frequently have after being injured in a car accident.

Should I accept the insurance company’s initial settlement offer?

The short answer is no — not before speaking with an experienced personal injury attorney. A motor vehicle accident can turn your life upside down. Insurance companies know that, and they routinely take advantage of accident victims by minimizing or wholly denying compensation. One way that insurance companies do that is by offering a “lowball” settlement that comes nowhere close to covering the full scope of damages allowed under New Mexico law. Before accepting a lowball settlement, talk to us. We can negotiate on your behalf and help you get the maximum available compensation for your injuries. Keep in mind that Stiver Law handles all personal injury cases on a contingency-fee basis. That means we don’t get paid unless we win for you.

Do I need to call the police after a car accident?

You should always call the police after a crash. Why? The police report is an important part of your personal injury claim, and you or someone else may need medical assistance. The police dispatcher will be ready to order medical assistance if it is necessary. Additionally, New Mexico law requires you to call the police if someone has been injured or if there appears to be property damage of $500 or more. In short, it is always important to call the police after a car accident.

What steps should I take immediately after a crash?

  1. Call the police.
  2. Get medical treatment if you believe you are injured in any way.
  3. Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver.
  4. If you can, take photos of the scene and get contact information from any witnesses. If your injuries prevent you from doing this, see if someone you know (a family member or friend) can do this for you.
  5. Get help from Stiver Law as soon as possible. The sooner we can get involved in your case, the sooner we can start protecting your interests and helping you obtain proper medical care and the maximum available compensation for your injuries.

What types of damages can a personal injury claim cover?

After a car accident, a personal injury claim can cover a variety of losses, including medical expenses, lost income, lost earning capacity, pain and suffering, loss of consortium, emotional distress, and punitive damages in some cases. At Stiver Law, we can help you determine the full extent of your injury and how it affects your life and that of your family. You can count on us to be your true advocates and fight to maximize your medical care and the compensation you receive.

What is the value of my claim?

This is a tough question, and every case is unique. Sometimes the injuries are minor and heal within a few months. Sometimes the pain and treatment can continue for years. Call us today before accepting any settlement.

Contact Us Today

We are a local New Mexico law firm. For a free consultation, please call us in Albuquerque at 505-219-4440 or complete our contact form. We are an experienced team of car accident attorneys serving clients throughout New Mexico.